Thursday, June 5, 2008

Mission Trip

Candace and I had an amazing time serving the orphans of Ukraine. Honestly, I wasn't sure how it would go being in such close quarters with Candace for 11 days but it went perfectly! Candace was very quiet and reserved at first (which is how she is when she is around new people) but after a few days, she came out of her shell and everyone fell in love with her and she with them. By day 4, I was heading to the room wondering when she would come and join me as the teens stayed up late most nights playing games, talking, etc. I was so excited for her to get to roam free with the other teens since she lives a fairly sheltered life here at TBCH. The good thing was that the ship was pretty small so if I needed her I could find her within 3 minutes.

My favorite part of this mission trip was really watching Candace warm up to the orphans. Candace is someone who is very unaffectionate, if that's even a word. She normally doesn't like to touch others and she acts as if she doesn't want to be touched either. But after a few days with the orphans, she was hugging them all and allowing them to walk arm in arm with her. Another change for Candace came with her showing emotion. I have only seen her cry twice in the last 2.5 years I have worked with her. Actually, she prides herself on not being a cryer but one day, she just let it all out. She stood with 2 teenage orphans and they all just balled together. I was in shock. The final change came as Candace offered her shoes to one of the teenage orphans. Again, I was in shock as Candace told me she felt as if she should give her shoes to one of the girls whose shoes were so small they were cutting into her feet. She asked me if she could give the girl her shoes and I told her I thought that would be okay but to wait until it was time for us to leave. As our time came to a close, I looked over to see Candace taking off her shoes and letting this teenage girl try them. However, Candace's shoes didn't fit this girl so, three more girls on our team proceeded to come over and allow the girl to try on their shoes until she found the right fit. It was an amazing experience for all of us to see this orphan try on shoes of all styles and sizes until she found the perfect fit. And to think that Candace started it all! I was the proudest "house" mom there ever was as I witnessed this sharing of shoes.

Now, I will leave you with some thoughts taken from my journal on the way back to TN...
I leave this mission trip with more passion than I came with. I leave with a desire to serve more in His name. I leave rejuvenated and reenergized. I leave much lighter than before as I have given Him my burdens from TN. I leave with 32 friends - some new and some old. I leave with a greater appreciation for each blessing God's given me. I leave excited to see my little Justus and my amazing husband. I leave proud of Candace for the work she has done and the ways that God has changed her. I leave honored to have been able to love little Ukrainians in His name. I leave wishing I could have done more but at peace knowing that seeds have been planted and He is at work. I leave with tears in my eyes because I will miss the orphans and my teammates. I leave concerned for the futures of Illiad, Arcade and all the orphans. I leave wondering when I can return and who I can talk into coming with me next time. I leave with joy in my heart for I know that the Kingdom of Heaven has been moved forward. I leave having witnessed the miracle of God healing Troy's back. I leave in awe of how beautiful Ukraine is. I leave so blessed knowing that God did more than I could ever have asked or imagined.

No comments: